Subject: Re: RFC: German translation vocabulary

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:21:34 +0200

* Christian Stimming:

> repository - Projektarchiv

"Projekt" or "Archiv" should suffice.

> revision - Version

"Versionsangabe", probably.  I think "revision" is most used as a
short form of "revision specifier".

> staging area - Bereitstellung

"Index"?

> branch [noun] - Zweig
> branch  [verb] - verzweigen

Or "abzweigen", if it's used transitive.

> [commit] message - Meldung (Nachricht?; Source Safe: Kommentar)

I came up with David's "Beschreibung" independently.  It fits better
to "Sammlung" below than "Zusammenfassung", IMHO.

> For some of them you can see alternatives considered in the glossary [1], but 
> overall the above ones were rather easy. Now for the difficult ones:
>
> commit [noun] 
> commit [verb]

"Sammlung" and "sammeln".

> checkout [noun]
> checkout [verb]

How's a checkout different from a working copy?

But to be honest, I wouldn't translate "repository" and "commit", at
least if they are used as nouns.