Subject: Re: [PATCH] signature-format.txt: explain and illustrate multi-line headers

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:12:52 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> A signature attached to a signed commit, and the contents of the
> commit that merged a signed tag, are both recorded as a value of an
> object header field as a multi-line value, and are subject to the
> formatting convention for multi-line values in the headers, with a
> leading SP signaling that the rest of the line is a continuation of
> the previous line.  Most notably, an empty line in such a multi-line
> value would result in a line with a sole SP on it.

One question I had was whether git's requirement was strictly a space,
or if it was following the rfc-822 convention where (if I remember
correctly) a tab is equivalent, i.e. the LWSP production in the grammar.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc822#section-3.2

Thanks
-- 
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org
GPG as of 2011-07-10 E6A9 DA3C C9FD 1FF8 C676 D2C4 C0F0 39E9 ED1B 597A
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4