Subject: Re: Rebase options via git pull

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:11:39 +0200

On Fri, May 14 2021, Sergey Organov wrote:

> Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 2021-05-13 18:49:03-0600, Alex Henrie <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 7:23 AM Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Hello,
>>> >
>>> > Is there a way to specify additional options for "git rebase" when it's
>>> > invoked via:
>>> >
>>> >   git pull --rebase
>>> >
>>> > ? What if rebase is used implicitly due to "pull.rebase" being set
>>> > accordingly?
>>> >
>>> > In particular, I'd like to be able to:
>>> >
>>> >   git pull --rebase --no-fork-point
>>> >
>>> > but it doesn't work.
>>> 
>>> It would be cumbersome, but you could run `git config rebase.forkPoint
>>> false` before pulling and `git config rebase.forkPoint true` after.
>>
>> Or, for this *specific* case:
>>
>> 	git -c rebase.forkpoint=false pull --rebase
>
> That's nice, thanks! Doesn't solve entire issue, but definitely better
> than nothing.
>
> Probably add generic cmd.<cmd>.opts config support, so that I can say:
>
>   git -c cmd.rebase.opts="--no-fork-point --empty=keep" pull --rebase
>
> Thoughts?

It's been discussed before (but I did not dig up the discussions,
sorry). It's been considered a bad idea, because our commands are a
mixture of plumbing/porcelain commands and switches, so we want to be
able to reliably invoke say ls-tree with some switches internally,
without config tripping us up.

Of course we could make this sort of thing work by selectively ignoring
the config, but such a thing would be equal in complexity to the effort
of assering that it's safe to introduce new rebase.* config in the
codebase for every switch it has now, but with a less friendly interface
both for git itself and users.

I.e. instead of rebase.noForkPoint=<bool> we'd need to to getopt parsing
on some cmd.rebase.opts string.

I don't see why in this case what I suggested elsewhere in the thread
wouldn't be viable, i.e. you specify --rebase or --merge to "pull", and
that affects how we interpret the rest of the options. I haven't tried
it though, so there may be hidden gotchas there I haven't thought of.