Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 02/30] subtree: t7900: update for having the default branch name be 'main'

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:38:52 +0200

On Tue, Apr 27 2021, Luke Shumaker wrote:

> From: Luke Shumaker <[email-masked]>
>
> Most of the tests had been converted to support
> `GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main`, but `contrib/subtree/t/`
> hadn't.
>
> Convert it.  Most of the mentions of 'master' can just be replaced with
> 'HEAD'.

Looks good to me. FWIW (without having looked carefully) I'd have
probably just set up a "sub-proj" remote and done a "git fetch" after
configuring a refspec during the setup, but just s/master/HEAD/ is the
smaller change to just fix the "bug".

> [...]
> @@ -994,6 +994,7 @@ test_expect_success 'push split to subproj' '
>  next_test
>  test_expect_success 'subtree descendant check' '
>  	subtree_test_create_repo "$subtree_test_count" &&
> +	defaultBranch=$(sed "s,ref: refs/heads/,," "$subtree_test_count/.git/HEAD") &&
>  	test_create_commit "$subtree_test_count" folder_subtree/a &&
>  	(
>  		cd "$subtree_test_count" &&

This though needlessly peeks into the raw refstore. Use branch=$(git
symbolic-ref --short HEAD) instead. See e.g. my
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/