Subject: Re: Solaris and sed: Too many commands, last: s/\n//

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:08:29 +0100

On Mon, Mar 11 2019, Eric Sunshine wrote:

> [cc:+Ævar]
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I enabled self tests for Solaris. Solaris has some anemic utilities so
>> I put /usr/gnu/bin first on-path.
>
> The first question is if you are really running GNU 'sed'? My guess is
> "no, it's still picking up Solaris's 'sed'".
>
>> gmake -C templates  SHELL_PATH='/bin/bash' PERL_PATH='/usr/bin/perl'
>> sed: Too many commands, last: s/\n//
>> --- chainlint/arithmetic-expansion.expect       2019-02-24
>
> Ævar had taken a stab at getting this to work on Solaris back in
> September 2018. He did fix one or two issues, but the one you report
> here was not addressed. He ultimately abandoned the attempt, I think,
> after Junio's reminder that the project had long ago declared
> Solaris's tools as a lost cause. See the relevant messages:
>
> http://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
> http://public-inbox.org/git/CAPig+cRrwW662Hzp8V1sH51x8qYxPyqG=VHpOkfd-=[email-masked]
> http://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]
> http://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]
>
>> Solaris in a VM sucks. I can provide SSH access to the hardware if
>> anyone is interested. It is just an Solaris i86pc on an older Ivy
>> Bridge.
>
> I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, though I don't promise anything,
> and I suspect the only way forward is by ensuring that the GNU or XPG
> tools are used instead of the Solaris ones.

FWIW I gave up on Solaris sed after trying to fix it the last time
around.

If you need another box to test it on you can apply for a GCC Farm
account: https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/machines/list/