Subject: Re: Editing GSoC Project Ideas

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2026 23:33:13 +0530

+Cc Stolee

Hi Phillip,

On 02/03/26 03:48, Christian Couder wrote:
> 
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2026 at 3:26 PM Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd be very grateful if someone with write access could please update
>> the description of "Refactoring in order to reduce Git’s global state"
>> [1] to stop recommending moving settings from `environment.c` into
>> `struct repository_settings`. That struct was originally added to hold
>> config settings that were already lazily parsed. We've had a number of
>> submissions that move eagerly parsed config settings into that struct
>> where an invalid config setting causes git to start dying in unexpected
>> places when the lazy parsing fails.
> 
> Yes, we should definitely update the description. Thanks for telling
> us about this.
>

Indeed. Thank you for the suggestion. We've tried to tweak the 
description accordingly. Kindly check and let us know if it still needs 
any tweaks:

   https://git.github.io/SoC-2026-Ideas/

>> I haven't been following Stolee's work [3] on "git conifg list --type"
>> closely but I think it introduces some functions to parse config
>> settings gently. Those functions might enable us to parse some config
>> settings lazy where the functions using the lazily parsed settings are
>> already set up to return a error. Doing that would require careful
>> analysis and should not be a blanket recommendation.
> 
> I haven't followed Stolee's work either, but I will take a look.
> Thanks for the pointer.
>

I've not yet mentioned stolee's work in the tweak as it is a work in 
progress. I'll leave it for a future enhancement in case it is really 
worth mentioning the same.

> In the meantime, if you have concrete suggestions for change you can
> submit one or more PRs to the https://github.com/git/git.github.io/
> repo.
> 

Just to add to this, any patches via mailing-list are also welcome if 
that's preferred :-)

--
Sivaraam