Subject: Re: [ORG] git config list

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2025 17:17:20 +0100

On Mon, Dec 22, 2025, at 15:37, Eugene R wrote:
> On the page https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config (Russian version)  we
> can see: git config list, that is might be an mistype as we supposes to
> see: git config --list

No. The current documentation on that page is for Git 2.52.0. Git 2.46.0
introduced subcommands like `list` that deprecates the corresponding
options like `--list`. From the release notes:

      * The operation mode options (like "--get") the "git config" command
        uses have been deprecated and replaced with subcommands (like "git
        config get").

See also the [Deprecated Modes] section.

Both `git config list` and `git config --list` work. But the `--list`
form is deprecated.

Most people might use much older Git versions since that is what their
package manager (that they directly or indirectly use) provides. I see
that Debian Stable now uses a derivation of Git 2.47.0. But I think up
until recently it might have used Git 2.43.0?

🔗: Deprecated Modes: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#_deprecated_modes