Subject: Re: [PATCH 11/14] replay: use standard revision ranges

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:09:25 -0400

On 4/7/2023 3:24 AM, Christian Couder wrote:
> From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
> 
> Instead of the fixed "<oldbase> <branch>" arguments, the replay
> command now accepts "<revision-range>..." arguments in a similar
> way as many other Git commands. This makes its interface more
> standard and more flexible.

Unfortunately, while doing this, you have broken the --onto
logic:

 $ git replay --onto HEAD~2 HEAD~1 HEAD
 fatal: replaying down to root commit is not supported yet!

The rev-walk you are supplying by this line...

> +	argc = setup_revisions(argc, argv, &revs, NULL);

is taking the remaining arguments and using them as tips to
walk. We need to be able to recognize that --onto A B C means
that A is the new base and our walk is B..C.

I'm not sure if there might be a way to use a callback for
the --onto option and pull out the next three options into
'new-base', 'old-base', 'tip' values or something.

Overall, I don't think being flexible in the CLI is of high
value for this command. Let's be as prescriptive as possible.

Something like:

	'git replay [options] <base> <tip>'
	This mode means to rebase <tip> onto <base>,
	detecting the range of commits to rewrite.

	'git replay [options] <new-base> <old-base> <tip>'
	This mode means to rebase the range <old-base>..<tip>
	onto <new-base>.

We don't even need "--onto" for these positional arguments.

Thanks,
-Stolee