Subject: [PATCH v5 5/8] SubmittingPatches: discuss reviewers first

From: "Linus Arver via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:01:54 +0000

From: Linus Arver <[email-masked]>

No matter how well someone configures their email tooling, understanding
who to send the patches to is something that must always be considered.
So discuss it first instead of at the end.

In the following commit we will clean up the (now redundant) discussion
about sending security patches to the Git Security mailing list.

Signed-off-by: Linus Arver <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 68 +++++++++++++++++----------------
 1 file changed, 35 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/SubmittingPatches b/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
index b684bdd03a1..a110f94db4f 100644
--- a/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
+++ b/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
@@ -397,6 +397,41 @@ letter.
 [[send-patches]]
 === Sending your patches.
 
+==== Choosing your reviewers
+
+:security-ml-ref: footnoteref:[security-ml]
+
+As mentioned at the beginning of the section, patches that may be
+security relevant should not be submitted to the public mailing list
+mentioned below, but should instead be sent privately to the Git
+Security mailing list{security-ml-ref}.
+
+:contrib-scripts: footnoteref:[contrib-scripts,Scripts under `contrib/` are +
+not part of the core `git` binary and must be called directly. Clone the Git +
+codebase and run `contrib/contacts/git-contacts` (you must have Perl installed +
+in your system).]
+
+Send your patch with "To:" set to the mailing list, with "cc:" listing
+people who are involved in the area you are touching (the `git-contacts`
+script in `contrib/contacts/`{contrib-scripts} can help to
+identify them), to solicit comments and reviews.  Also, when you made
+trial merges of your topic to `next` and `seen`, you may have noticed
+work by others conflicting with your changes.  There is a good possibility
+that these people may know the area you are touching well.
+
+:current-maintainer: footnote:[The current maintainer: [email-masked]]
+:git-ml: footnote:[The mailing list: [email-masked]]
+
+After the list reached a consensus that it is a good idea to apply the
+patch, re-send it with "To:" set to the maintainer{current-maintainer}
+and "cc:" the list{git-ml} for inclusion.  This is especially relevant
+when the maintainer did not heavily participate in the discussion and
+instead left the review to trusted others.
+
+Do not forget to add trailers such as `Acked-by:`, `Reviewed-by:` and
+`Tested-by:` lines as necessary to credit people who helped your
+patch, and "cc:" them when sending such a final version for inclusion.
+
 :security-ml: footnoteref:[security-ml,The Git Security mailing list: [email-masked]]
 
 Before sending any patches, please note that patches that may be
@@ -490,39 +525,6 @@ patch, format it as "multipart/signed", not a text/plain message
 that starts with `-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----`.  That is
 not a text/plain, it's something else.
 
-:security-ml-ref: footnoteref:[security-ml]
-
-As mentioned at the beginning of the section, patches that may be
-security relevant should not be submitted to the public mailing list
-mentioned below, but should instead be sent privately to the Git
-Security mailing list{security-ml-ref}.
-
-:contrib-scripts: footnoteref:[contrib-scripts,Scripts under `contrib/` are +
-not part of the core `git` binary and must be called directly. Clone the Git +
-codebase and run `contrib/contacts/git-contacts` (you must have Perl installed +
-in your system).]
-
-Send your patch with "To:" set to the mailing list, with "cc:" listing
-people who are involved in the area you are touching (the `git-contacts`
-script in `contrib/contacts/`{contrib-scripts} can help to
-identify them), to solicit comments and reviews.  Also, when you made
-trial merges of your topic to `next` and `seen`, you may have noticed
-work by others conflicting with your changes.  There is a good possibility
-that these people may know the area you are touching well.
-
-:current-maintainer: footnote:[The current maintainer: [email-masked]]
-:git-ml: footnote:[The mailing list: [email-masked]]
-
-After the list reached a consensus that it is a good idea to apply the
-patch, re-send it with "To:" set to the maintainer{current-maintainer}
-and "cc:" the list{git-ml} for inclusion.  This is especially relevant
-when the maintainer did not heavily participate in the discussion and
-instead left the review to trusted others.
-
-Do not forget to add trailers such as `Acked-by:`, `Reviewed-by:` and
-`Tested-by:` lines as necessary to credit people who helped your
-patch, and "cc:" them when sending such a final version for inclusion.
-
 == Subsystems with dedicated maintainers
 
 Some parts of the system have dedicated maintainers with their own
-- 
gitgitgadget