Subject: [GSoC] interested in improving git repo info path queries

From: BILAL EL KHATABI <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2026 21:36:27 +0000

Hi,

  I’m applying to Git for GSoC 2026, and I’m currently most
  interested in the “Improve the new git repo command” project.

  I’ve been reading `builtin/repo.c`, trying the current `git repo
info`
  and `git repo structure` commands locally, and reading recent
proposal
  and patch threads around `git repo`&. The direction that seems most
  realistic to me is to focus on `git repo info`, especially path-
related
  values that are still "commonly queried" through `git rev-parse` and
  `git rev-parse --git-path`.

  My immediate thought is to keep the scope narrow:
  - start with a small batch of path-related `repo info` fields with
clear
    `rev-parse` equivalents
  - add tests and documentation together with the implementation
  - keep the main design discussion around path naming and relative
versus
    absolute path output
  - avoid taking on both `repo info` and `repo structure` at the same
time

  I’ve also been working through a microproject patch on the list and
  reading recent newcomer and GSoC-related threads on lore while
shaping
  the proposal.

  If there are particular open threads, design questions, or gaps
around
  the `git repo info` path-query direction that would make the best
  starting point, I’d appreciate pointers.

  Thanks,
  Bilal El Khatabi