Subject: Re: git-gui: disable the "loose objects popup" dialog?

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 20:54:52 +0200

Am 26.09.19 um 19:31 schrieb Birger Skogeng Pedersen:
> Every once in a while, I get the "This repository currently has
> approximately (some number) loose objects." popup dialog.
> 
> I don't want to sound arrogant, but I find this popup along with the
> dialog showing after that prints the result of the compression,
> immensely annoying. And I've seen people mention before that they
> would, in some casese, rather not have to deal with the dialog[0].
> 
> [0] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1106529/how-to-skip-loose-object-popup-when-running-git-gui
> 
> I get that git-gui merely wants to resolve a performance issue. But
> personally I'd prefer if git could just assume I always wanted to
> compress the database, and automatically do it without bugging me with
> the popups.

I dislike the popup, too. But I want total control over my repository:
No automatic compression behind my back, in particular, when that
expires reflogs, and git-gui does that.

> I propose we implement the following options in git-gui:
> - ignore loose objects (do not show the popup), disabled by default.
> - automatically, silently compress the database, without prompt. Also
> disabled by default.

What about a configurable limit, but still show the dialog?

-- Hannes