Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4/5] config: add git_configset_alloc() and git_configset_clear_and_free()

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 10:51:44 +0100

Hi Kyle

On 12/08/2024 22:55, Kyle Lippincott wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2024 at 2:39 PM Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hmmm I see your point, but I am also hoping to keep the symbol export
>> shim as small as possible, so that we can try to autogenerate it rather
>> than add entries by hand. However, if people feel strongly that we don't
>> want to add helper functions like *_alloc() or *_free() for types that don't
>> already have them upstream, perhaps we can just put them in a separate
>> rust-helpers.c file or something.
> 
> I'm thinking of this patch series as two closely related but
> technically separable things: the creation of a .a/.so that can be
> used outside of git, and the rust wrapper around that library. I think
> these functions would be needed by all users of the library,
> regardless of what language they're implemented in. i.e. they
> shouldn't be thought of as 'rust helpers' and instead just the way
> that the library is designed. _All_ functions that allocate memory
> should have a paired "free" method, and that should be used
> exclusively, regardless of host language.

Thanks for writing this, I agree we should be designing the library 
wrapper as a general purpose library, not as an implementation detail of 
the rust code.

Best Wishes

Phillip

> So nit: I wouldn't call it rust-helpers.c ;)