Subject: .gitconfig: -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' status

From: Alejandro Colomar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:24:53 +0100

Hi,

I wrote recently some aliases to not clutter my screen when I want to
check something quick:

$ head -n4 ~/.gitconfig 
[alias]
	df = -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' diff
	sw = -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' show
	st = -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' status

Now, `git df` and `git sw` work as expected: they open a less window,
and it's later closed with `q`, with no traces in my screen except for
the command itself.  

However, `git st` doesn't seem to work.  It prints everything to screen,
and then exits.

You can reproduce it on the command line too:

git -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' diff    # OK
git -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' show    # OK
git -c core.pager='less -+F -+X' status  # Not OK

Cheers,
Alex

P.S.:  While sometimes I want to check quick something without
cluttering my screen, I don't recommend anyone reading this to run these
aliases as a norm.  I prefer using the ones that leave traces on the
screen, since that way it's simple to recover from rebase accidents,
which at least to me, happen rather often.  This is only for cases where
I have something important on the screen which I don't want to hide
(previously, I would open a new terminal to check something quick on
git).

-- 
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5