Subject: Re: [PATCH 8/8] diff-highlight: fetch all config with one process

From: Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 13:39:44 +0800

On 3/23/26 04:45, Jeff King wrote:

> I noticed it, too, but didn't have a better name (in fact they are of
> the same type, just two different contexts). Shadowing seemed less bad
> to me than using a mis-matched name. 

Fair enough! Let's leave it as it is ;)

> The length() of undef is also undef (and documented in "perldoc -f
> length"). But either way, length($s) will be false, and we will return
> $default, not $s.
> 
> I don't get any warning on perl 5.40.1. Are you seeing one on a
> different version?

It's mainly because I saw that you changed the required version earlier：

-require v5.26;
+require v5.008;

I clearly remember that in older versions of Perl, the length function 
behaved differently than it does now.

	use strict;
	use warnings FATAL => 'uninitialized';

	my $x;
	print "length = ", length($x), "\n";

In 5.8.8 the output is:

	Use of uninitialized value in length at test.pl line 5.

And in 5.38.2 the output is:

	Use of uninitialized value in print at test.pl line 5. length =
	
In the first case, the code will throw an error and exit. Although I 
haven't compiled this patch under version 5.8.8 yet, I suspect there 
will be issues.
> -Peff

Regards, Yuchen