Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Backfill fixes and edges

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2026 10:18:03 -0400

On 4/15/2026 7:57 PM, Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget wrote:
> This topic fixes a few minor issues in git backfill (from ds/backfill-revs
> this cycle), although some might see the third patch as more feature than
> fix, and the first two patches are pretty minor and probably do not merit
> consideration before the release this late in the cycle.
> 
> Overview:
> 
>  * Patch 1: As a wise man once said, "Sending arbitrary command-line
>    arguments to setup_revisions() creates an opportunity for behavior you
>    are not expecting. For instance, can users...supply --first-parent? What
>    happens if they add an --author filter?" ;-) I think these particular
>    cases might work, but other rev-list options don't make sense, so let's
>    error on ones that don't.

I know that --first-parent was one of the options I _did_ want to
include as a potential option (it helps focus the set to a "core" of
commits and we can get more on-demand off the core if needed). Yes,
--author is a little silly, but it didn't seem necessary to block it.

I agree with the reasons you gave to block _most_ of the options you
blocked. The output-formatting options don't need to be a hard failure,
but that could be a later improvement. For now, I think your change is
entirely positive so doesn't need change.

>  * Patch 2: Making documentation more consistent with other commands
>  * Patch 3: Tweak the ranges so we actually prevent on-demand blob
>    downloading better with a new --[no-]include-edges flag.

I gave notes on every patch, but no meaningful changes are required.

Thanks for helping to polish this feature!
-Stolee