Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/17] cruft packs

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:48:37 -0400

On 5/18/2022 7:10 PM, Taylor Blau wrote:
> Here is another reroll of my series to implement "cruft packs", which is based
> on the v2.36 tree, and incorporates feedback from the discussion we had about
> mixed-version GCs with cruft packs in [1].
> 
> The changes here are limited to:
> 
>   - a cautionary note in Documentation/technical/cruft-packs.txt
>     describing the potential interaction between pruning GCs across pre-
>     and post-cruft pack versions of Git, as discussed towards the bottom
>     of [2]

I think this documentation is sufficient guarding against this issue,
which is not so critical as to do something more involved. When users
opt-in to using cruft packs, they should know about their scenario
enough to know if they would stumble into this issue.

>   - updating the `finalize_hashfile()` calls for writing `.mtimes` files
>     to indicate that they are `FSYNC_COMPONENT_PACK_METADATA`, since the
>     original version of this series predates the fine-grained fsync
>     configuration in 2.36.

Good to have this update and not require it to be handled at merge
time by the maintainer.

> As always, a range-diff is below. Thanks in advance for taking another
> look!

Looking at the range-diff, I'm happy with this version.

Thanks,
-Stolee