Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] add-patch: render hunks through the pager

From: Rubén Justo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 00:25:42 +0200

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 05:06:01AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 09:59:55PM +0200, Rubén Justo wrote:
> 
> > > This feature can be annoying even with current versions of less,
> > 
> > Hopefully, reducing the blast radius to a new 'P' option, will make it
> > palatable.
> 
> Yeah, that would be perfect. I might even use it, then, for the rare
> cases when I want to look at a really big hunk.

In addition to that, I have two use-cases that make sense to me:

  - avoiding a huuge but split-able hunk to go all through my terminal
    before I can say: split, 's'.  For this, perhaps the '-P' suggested
    by Dragan is the way to go.

  - a lot of mid-sized hunks that I only need to see, to decide, the
    result of "head -3".  Here, the pager would be acting as a 'filter'.

Perhaps I am stretching the meaning of 'pager' too far...

> I do still think it would be useful to be able to configure its pager
> separately (in my case, I'd use "less -FX" rather than my default
> setup, which doesn't use either of those options).

A new "interactive.pager" setting?  Perhaps with higher preference than
"add.pager"?  Just questioning, do not take this as an intention of
scratching that itch :-)