Subject: Re: git-gui: disable the "loose objects popup" dialog?

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 23:13:30 +0200

Am 26.09.19 um 21:15 schrieb Pratyush Yadav:
> Reading the Stackoverflow link, it seems this is already possible via an 
> undocumented config variable "gui.gcwarning". I haven't tried using it 
> though, but I see no reason for it to not work (looking at 
> git-gui.sh:4141).

Ah! That explains why I don't see the message on one of my computers,
but I do see on others. I must have reset gui.gcwarning there a decade
ago, and forgot about it.

> Maybe we should add this variable in the options dialog, so people at 
> least know it exists?

That may be the most reasonable thing to do, IMO.

>> What about a configurable limit, but still show the dialog?
> 
> Do people really care that much about configuring this limit to warrant 
> something like this? 

Never mind. We don't need it if there is a simple switch.

> Talking about auto compression, would it be a better idea to let users 
> disable the dialog, and then if they do want auto compression, they can 
> just run a cron job (or the Windows equivalent) to do this on their 
> repos? What reasons do people have to have this feature in git-gui, 
> instead of running cron jobs?

This is a GUI. It was intended for people with a dislike of the command
line. If you avoid the command line as much as possible, you never get
to see any object statistics; yet, all operations would slow down
gradually due to object bloat with no way out. Remember that this
feature was invented long before auto-gc came to existence. Not to
mention that git-gui uses plumbing mostly where auto-gc would not
trigger anyway.

-- Hannes