Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] bloom: enable multiple pathspec bloom keys

From: Lidong Yan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2025 19:40:01 +0800

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2025 at 06:50:22AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Totally outside the topic, but I wonder if we can further optimize
>> by adding an early rejection using .nowildcard_len?  Instead of
>> allowing a wildcarded "dir/*" pathspec element from disabling the
>> Bloom filter altogether, we could say "dir/ is not possibly altered,
>> so there may be dir/A, dir/B, etc., in the directory, nothing that
>> would match dir/* wildcard would have been modified", couldn't we?
> 
> Indeed, that's what I demonstrated back in:
> 
>  https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

That's interesting. Though I find the bloom part of code changed and I can't
reuse your patch.

Have you ever considered to optimize other kind of pathspec magic? I am
not perfectly sure whether it is feasible to use the same trick (using bloom filter on dir/ path)
on patchspec magic except PATHSPEC_EXCLUDE.

Thanks,
Lidong