Subject: Re: CRLF problems with Git on Win32

From: Gregory Jefferis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:20:36 +0000

On 8/1/08 10:08, "Jeff King" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> If you are introducing crlf = warn, that means you are declaring
>> that CRLF should be treated as a disease, and that should apply
>> everywhere, not just on Windows (which some people may consider
>> a disease itself, but that is a separate topic).
> 
> It's unclear to me: is such a warning only supposed to happen when we
> see CRLF _after_ we have determined that a file is not actually binary?
> Otherwise, it seems like we are punishing people on sane platforms who
> use binary files (although even with that check, I am slightly
> uncomfortable given reports of incorrect guessing).

In the context of EOL style, a warning or error should only be given if we
think the file is text.  Very occasionally we will be wrong about this, but
if the default behaviour is warn then that will just be a minor annoyance.
This annoyance can be overcome for a file or file type (with attributes),
per project or globally.  If the default behaviour were munge (e.g.
autocrlf=true) then we could very occasionally damage something, so I think
we can all agree that is a bad idea.

Greg.