Subject: Re: Choosing a mergetool according to file type

From: Gregory Jefferis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:27:55 +0100

Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for your reply.

On 2009-06-26 13:04, "Matthieu Moy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Never used it, but man gitattributes says
> 
>    Performing a three-way merge
>        merge
> [...]
>               String
>                  3-way merge is performed using the specified custom merge
> driver. The built-in 3-way merge driver can be explicitly specified by asking
>                  for "text" driver; the built-in "take the current branch"
> driver can be requested with "binary".
> [...]
>        Defining a custom merge driver
> 
> Is it not what you're looking for?

This defines the merge driver but not the mergetool.  A mergetool is
presumably an interactive tool that helps you clean up failed automatic
merges.  For my binary files the internal merge driver "binary" will be used
which as your quote points our keeps the local file and signals a conflict
if it is different from the remote file.  I cannot define a custom merge
driver for my binary word files because I don't have such a program (which
would have to carry out the merge in a non-interactive fashion).  As
mergetool I use a script that calls Word and that of course has to be
interactive.

Best,

Greg.