Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND] hooks: add sendemail-validate-series

From: "Robin Jarry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 19:25:42 +0200

Junio C Hamano, Apr 03, 2023 at 17:42:
> I do not know why we need another hook to do pretty much the same
> thing as the existing one (which could be taught to spool and then the
> last round to validate, in addition to each step rejecting incoming
> one as needed), but at least calling it there would be very much in
> line with the existing one, I would say.

If for example the validation would require trying to apply patches on
top of another branch in a temp repository, you would need to know the
number of patches and be able to determine whether you need to reset the
branch (patch 1/N) before applying. For that you would need to parse the
contents of the patches. This is not the end of the world but I assumed
that it would be easier to handle with a hook that fires once with all
patch files.

Another option would be to change sendemail-validate to be called only
once with all patches. That would be the ideal solution since the
existing hook is not always usable with series. But that would be
a breaking change. I personally don't mind a small breakage like this
but I don't know what is the project's policy.