Subject: Re: feature request: set remote/HEAD with fetch

From: "Bence Ferdinandy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 21:00:10 +0200

> There was discussion a while ago that proposed a tri-state config
> option: never update the remote head on fetch, always do so, or add it
> only when missing:
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks for linking that, I didn't think about searching for old discussion
before writing ...

>
> I think that is a good first step, as we could stop there and leave the
> default at "never" without any compatibility issues (and/or contemplate
> a change in the default as a separate step).
>
> I don't think the patch in that thread is likely to go anywhere at this
> point, but if somebody wanted to pick it up, I think everybody was
> positive on the general direction.

My C skills aren't great (probably an overstatement), but if Felipe or somebody
else more qualified than me doesn't want to pick this up, I'm willing to give
it a shot based on the Felipe's patch. It will take some time though :)

Thanks,
Bence