Subject: Re: [PATCH v11 1/8] t/t5505-remote: set default branch to main

From: "Bence Ferdinandy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 22:14:12 +0200

On Tue Oct 22, 2024 at 21:53, Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2024, at 21:45, Bence Ferdinandy wrote:
>> Consider the bare repository called "mirror" in the test.  Running `git
>> remote add --mirror -f origin ../one` will not change HEAD, consequently
>> if init.defaultBranch is not the same as what HEAD in the remote
>> ("one"), HEAD in "mirror" will be pointing to a non-existent reference.
>> Hence if "mirror" is used as a remote by yet another repository,
>> ls-remote will not show HEAD. On the other hand, if init.defaultBranch
>> happens to match HEAD in "one", then ls-remote will show HEAD.
>>
>> Since the CI globally exports GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main,
>> there's a drift between how the test repositories are set up in the CI
>> and during local testing. This issue does not manifest currently, as the
>> test does not do any remote HEAD manipulation where this would come up,
>> but should such things be added, a locally passing test would break the
>> CI vice-versa.
>>
>> Set GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main in the test to be
>> consistent with the CI.
>> ---
>>
>> Notes:
>>     v9: - new patch
>>         - a bandaid for the CI issue noticed by Taylor (cf:
>>           https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/), 
>> but
>>           see
>>           
>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ 
>> for the root cause in detail
>
> Why no signoff?

Because I always forget :( I've been thinking on making it by default, but
I didn't want to add it to all the work related commits, where I'd be the only
one doing it, but I just found the format.signoff setting, so I should be
covered for future patches.

I'll wait some time before sending a fix for this :)

Thanks,
Bence

-- 
bence.ferdinandy.com