Subject: Re: [GSoC] Proposal Discussion: git-refs Project

From: "Yuting Zheng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 10:26:49 +0800

Thanks for your reply!

I have reviewed the changelog and noted that Git version 2.23
introduced similar work through the addition of the git-switch and
git-restore commands, which replace some legacy commands and incorporate
various functional modifications.

After examining the updates, I have summarized the proposed work as
follows and would appreciate confirmation on whether these tasks are to be
included in the current project:

1. Code Modifications for Command Implementation:

- Implementation of new commands.
- Necessary modifications to existing commands to support these changes.

2. Test Modifications:

- Addition of tests for the new features (including help tests, basic
functionality tests, and extended feature tests).
- Updating tests for old commands to execute tests on the new commands
(for example, changing the command in git-checkout tests to git-restore).

3. Documentation Updates:

- Creating documentation for the new commands.
Updating and unifying existing documentation (including git.txt,
git-cli.txt, and git-commit.txt).

Additionally, I have a few points that require further discussion:

1. Command Migration:

Upon reviewing the commands slated for replacement (e.g., git-update-ref(1),
git-for-each-ref(1), git-show-ref(1), git-pack-refs(1), and
git-symbolic-ref), it seems that migrating their functionality into a
subcommand of git-refs could be sufficient. Could you please confirm if
this approach meets our project requirements without introducing
additional functionality?

2. Function Call Integration:

Regarding migration, is it acceptable to directly invoke the legacy command
functions by passing parameters from the new command functions?

3. Test Retention:

Lastly, should we retain the original tests for the legacy commands, or
should they be fully replaced with tests for the new implementations?

I appreciate your guidance and look forward to your feedback on these points.

Best regards,
Zheng Yuting