Subject: Re: Setting up Password protected repositories?

From: Jon Loeliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:22:03 -0500

So, like, the other day Shawn Pearce mumbled:
> > > 
> > > Or am I missing something deeper?

Hmmm... Maybe _I_ am!...

> > I want git-daemon to serve up the repository.
> > I just want to have it served to people who can
> > supply a password or have an ssh key in place.
> 
> Don't use git-daemon.

Say that again?  It sounded like you said "Don't use git-daemon."

> Instead create UNIX accounts for the people who need access and if
> you don't want them to actually be able to login set their shell
> to be `git-sh`.  This is a special shell-like thing that only lets
> the user push or fetch to any repository they have access to.

Yeah, I think I'm getting it now.  Don't use git-daemon, and
instead set up UNIX accounts with git-sh as their shell.  That
will let them push and fetch from a repository they can access.

> The URL is a 'git+ssh' style URL and they will use SSH to connect.

Ahhh...  Straight ssh to git-sh, no git daemon or HTTP in the mix.

> Access is controlled by standard UNIX user/group read/write access
> and ACLs if your OS/filesystem support them.  You can also control
> pushing with an update hook.

OK.  I seem to recall a recipe down this line somwhere...  Is there
a current "Best Practices" write up somewhere with these details
outlined in it?

So slowly we are clued...

Thanks,
jdl