Subject: URL Syntax Question

From: Jon Loeliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:58:00 -0500

Folks,

On, for example, the git-clone man page, the stated URLs
that are supported include these:

    git://host.xz/path/to/repo.git/
    git://host.xz/~user/path/to/repo.git/
and:
    ssh://[user@]host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/
    ssh://[user@]host.xz/path/to/repo.git/
    ssh://[user@]host.xz/~user/path/to/repo.git/
    ssh://[user@]host.xz/~/path/to/repo.git
and:
    rsync://host.xz/path/to/repo.git/

In the first set, is the non-specified user form also supported?
That is, this form:

    git://host.xz/~/path/to/repo.git/

In the second set, is it fair to generalize and say
that they could all be respresented as this:

    ssh://[user1@]host.xz[:port]/[~[user2]/]path/to/repo.git/

Where user1 is, of course, the authorizing user and user2
is the file system accessed home directory user.

Lastly, how long before the deprecated and third class citizen,
rsync, is actually _removed_?  Or will it linger for all time?
Any plans in the works there?

And is it also true that the trailing / isn't strictly necessary?

Thanks,
jdl