Subject: [PATCH v2 3/4] doc: config: convert trailers section to synopsis style

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2026 22:48:26 +0100

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

Convert this part of the configuration documentation to synopsis style
so that all of git-interpret-trailers(1) is consistent.

See the commit message from two commits ago.

Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
---

Notes (series):
    v2:
    • <keyAlias> → <key-alias> (no camelcase)
    • Refer to two-commits-ago for an explanation of the changes

 Documentation/config/trailer.adoc | 121 +++++++++++++++---------------
 1 file changed, 61 insertions(+), 60 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config/trailer.adoc b/Documentation/config/trailer.adoc
index 60bc221c88b..1bc70192d3a 100644
--- a/Documentation/config/trailer.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/config/trailer.adoc
@@ -1,21 +1,21 @@
-trailer.separators::
+`trailer.separators`::
 	This option tells which characters are recognized as trailer
-	separators. By default only ':' is recognized as a trailer
-	separator, except that '=' is always accepted on the command
+	separators. By default only `:` is recognized as a trailer
+	separator, except that `=` is always accepted on the command
 	line for compatibility with other git commands.
 +
 The first character given by this option will be the default character
 used when another separator is not specified in the config for this
 trailer.
 +
-For example, if the value for this option is "%=$", then only lines
-using the format '<key><sep><value>' with <sep> containing '%', '='
-or '$' and then spaces will be considered trailers. And '%' will be
+For example, if the value for this option is `%=$`, then only lines
+using the format _<key><sep><value>_ with _<sep>_ containing `%`, `=`
+or `$` and then spaces will be considered trailers. And `%` will be
 the default separator used, so by default trailers will appear like:
-'<key>% <value>' (one percent sign and one space will appear between
+`<key>% <value>` (one percent sign and one space will appear between
 the key and the value).
 
-trailer.where::
+`trailer.where`::
 	This option tells where a new trailer will be added.
 +
 This can be `end`, which is the default, `start`, `after` or `before`.
@@ -27,41 +27,41 @@ If it is `start`, then each new trailer will appear at the start,
 instead of the end, of the existing trailers.
 +
 If it is `after`, then each new trailer will appear just after the
-last trailer with the same <key>.
+last trailer with the same _<key>_.
 +
 If it is `before`, then each new trailer will appear just before the
-first trailer with the same <key>.
+first trailer with the same _<key>_.
 
-trailer.ifexists::
+`trailer.ifexists`::
 	This option makes it possible to choose what action will be
 	performed when there is already at least one trailer with the
-	same <key> in the input.
+	same _<key>_ in the input.
 +
 The valid values for this option are: `addIfDifferentNeighbor` (this
 is the default), `addIfDifferent`, `add`, `replace` or `doNothing`.
 +
 With `addIfDifferentNeighbor`, a new trailer will be added only if no
-trailer with the same (<key>, <value>) pair is above or below the line
+trailer with the same (_<key>_, _<value>_) pair is above or below the line
 where the new trailer will be added.
 +
 With `addIfDifferent`, a new trailer will be added only if no trailer
-with the same (<key>, <value>) pair is already in the input.
+with the same (_<key>_, _<value>_) pair is already in the input.
 +
 With `add`, a new trailer will be added, even if some trailers with
-the same (<key>, <value>) pair are already in the input.
+the same (_<key>_, _<value>_) pair are already in the input.
 +
-With `replace`, an existing trailer with the same <key> will be
+With `replace`, an existing trailer with the same _<key>_ will be
 deleted and the new trailer will be added. The deleted trailer will be
-the closest one (with the same <key>) to the place where the new one
+the closest one (with the same _<key>_) to the place where the new one
 will be added.
 +
 With `doNothing`, nothing will be done; that is no new trailer will be
-added if there is already one with the same <key> in the input.
+added if there is already one with the same _<key>_ in the input.
 
-trailer.ifmissing::
+`trailer.ifmissing`::
 	This option makes it possible to choose what action will be
 	performed when there is not yet any trailer with the same
-	<key> in the input.
+	_<key>_ in the input.
 +
 The valid values for this option are: `add` (this is the default) and
 `doNothing`.
@@ -70,67 +70,68 @@ With `add`, a new trailer will be added.
 +
 With `doNothing`, nothing will be done.
 
-trailer.<keyAlias>.key::
-	Defines a <keyAlias> for the <key>. The <keyAlias> must be a
-	prefix (case does not matter) of the <key>. For example, in `git
-	config trailer.ack.key "Acked-by"` the "Acked-by" is the <key> and
-	the "ack" is the <keyAlias>. This configuration allows the shorter
+`trailer.<key-alias>.key`::
+	Defines a _<key-alias>_ for the _<key>_. The _<key-alias>_ must be a
+	prefix (case does not matter) of the _<key>_. For example, in `git
+	config trailer.ack.key "Acked-by"` the `Acked-by` is the _<key>_ and
+	the `ack` is the _<key-alias>_. This configuration allows the shorter
 	`--trailer "ack:..."` invocation on the command line using the "ack"
-	<keyAlias> instead of the longer `--trailer "Acked-by:..."`.
+	`<key-alias>` instead of the longer `--trailer "Acked-by:..."`.
 +
-At the end of the <key>, a separator can appear and then some
-space characters. By default the only valid separator is ':',
+At the end of the _<key>_, a separator can appear and then some
+space characters. By default the only valid separator is `:`,
 but this can be changed using the `trailer.separators` config
 variable.
 +
 If there is a separator in the key, then it overrides the default
 separator when adding the trailer.
 
-trailer.<keyAlias>.where::
-	This option takes the same values as the 'trailer.where'
+`trailer.<key-alias>.where`::
+	This option takes the same values as the `trailer.where`
 	configuration variable and it overrides what is specified by
-	that option for trailers with the specified <keyAlias>.
+	that option for trailers with the specified _<key-alias>_.
 
-trailer.<keyAlias>.ifexists::
-	This option takes the same values as the 'trailer.ifexists'
+`trailer.<key-alias>.ifexists`::
+	This option takes the same values as the `trailer.ifexists`
 	configuration variable and it overrides what is specified by
-	that option for trailers with the specified <keyAlias>.
+	that option for trailers with the specified _<key-alias>_.
 
-trailer.<keyAlias>.ifmissing::
-	This option takes the same values as the 'trailer.ifmissing'
+`trailer.<key-alias>.ifmissing`::
+	This option takes the same values as the `trailer.ifmissing`
 	configuration variable and it overrides what is specified by
-	that option for trailers with the specified <keyAlias>.
+	that option for trailers with the specified _<key-alias>_.
 
-trailer.<keyAlias>.command::
-	Deprecated in favor of 'trailer.<keyAlias>.cmd'.
-	This option behaves in the same way as 'trailer.<keyAlias>.cmd', except
+`trailer.<key-alias>.command`::
+	Deprecated in favor of `trailer.<key-alias>.cmd`.
+	This option behaves in the same way as `trailer.<key-alias>.cmd`, except
 	that it doesn't pass anything as argument to the specified command.
-	Instead the first occurrence of substring $ARG is replaced by the
-	<value> that would be passed as argument.
+	Instead the first occurrence of substring `$ARG` is replaced by the
+	_<value>_ that would be passed as argument.
 +
-Note that $ARG in the user's command is
-only replaced once and that the original way of replacing $ARG is not safe.
+Note that `$ARG` in the user's command is
+only replaced once and that the original way of replacing `$ARG` is not safe.
 +
-When both 'trailer.<keyAlias>.cmd' and 'trailer.<keyAlias>.command' are given
-for the same <keyAlias>, 'trailer.<keyAlias>.cmd' is used and
-'trailer.<keyAlias>.command' is ignored.
+When both `trailer.<key-alias>.cmd` and `trailer.<key-alias>.command` are given
+for the same _<key-alias>_, `trailer.<key-alias>.cmd` is used and
+`trailer.<key-alias>.command` is ignored.
 
-trailer.<keyAlias>.cmd::
+`trailer.<key-alias>.cmd`::
 	This option can be used to specify a shell command that will be called
-	once to automatically add a trailer with the specified <keyAlias>, and then
-	called each time a '--trailer <keyAlias>=<value>' argument is specified to
-	modify the <value> of the trailer that this option would produce.
+	once to automatically add a trailer with the specified _<key-alias>_, and then
+	called each time a `--trailer <key-alias>=<value>` argument is specified to
+	modify the _<value>_ of the trailer that this option would produce.
 +
 When the specified command is first called to add a trailer
-with the specified <keyAlias>, the behavior is as if a special
-'--trailer <keyAlias>=<value>' argument was added at the beginning
-of the "git interpret-trailers" command, where <value>
-is taken to be the standard output of the command with any
-leading and trailing whitespace trimmed off.
+with the specified _<key-alias>_, the behavior is as if a special
+`--trailer <key-alias>=<value>` argument was added at the beginning
+of linkgit:git-interpret-trailers[1], where _<value>_ is taken to be the
+standard output of the command with any leading and trailing whitespace
+trimmed off.
 +
-If some '--trailer <keyAlias>=<value>' arguments are also passed
+If some `--trailer <key-alias>=<value>` arguments are also passed
 on the command line, the command is called again once for each
-of these arguments with the same <keyAlias>. And the <value> part
+of these arguments with the same _<key-alias>_. And the _<value>_ part
 of these arguments, if any, will be passed to the command as its
-first argument. This way the command can produce a <value> computed
-from the <value> passed in the '--trailer <keyAlias>=<value>' argument.
+first argument. This way the command can produce a _<value>_ computed
+from the _<value>_ passed in the `--trailer <key-alias>=<value>`
+argument.
-- 
2.53.0.32.gf6228eaf9cc