Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] csum-file: add hashwrite_be64()

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 09:47:45 -0500

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 08:52:24AM -0500, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 11/12/2020 7:20 AM, René Scharfe wrote:
> > Add a helper function for hashing and writing 64-bit integers in network
> > byte order.  It returns the number of written bytes.  This simplifies
> > callers that keep track of the file offset, even though this number is a
> > constant.
> >
> > Suggested-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
> > Original-patch-by: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
>
> These patches are absolutely correct, and I'm glad to see them show up
> in a very clear presentation. I had to go look to see why these were
> not already present, with [1] being the last instance of these showing
> up on-list. They did not get into the new version after a significant
> refactor [2].

That's right. What happened was we stopped writing the uncompressed "has
an unpresentable Bloom filter" bitmap between the two versions you're
talking about. Since we wrote each word as a big-endian 8-byte unsigned
value, introducing hashwrite_be64() was useful in the earlier version.

But in the rewritten version, there were no _new_ callers that would
have wanted hashwrite_be64(), so I dropped those patches since the
series was already large.

That all being said, these are definitely useful patches to have, so I'm
glad to see them being dug back up. Thanks, René :-).

> Thanks,
> -Stolee
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks,
Taylor