Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] config: allow specifying config entries via envvar pairs

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 07:40:41 +0100

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 04:37:33PM +0000, Philip Oakley wrote:
> On 13/11/2020 12:16, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > This commit thus adds a new way of adding config entries via the
> > environment which doesn't require splitting of keys and values. The user
> > can specify an config entry's key via `GIT_CONFIG_KEY_$n` and a value
> > via `GIT_CONFIG_VALUE_$n`, where `n` is any number starting with 1. It
> > is possible to add multiple entries via consecutively numbered envvars
> > `GIT_CONFIG_KEY_1`, `GIT_CONFIG_KEY_2`, etc, where each of the keys may
> > have a matching value. 
> 
> > When no matching value exists, it's assumed to be
> > the empty value.
> Is this a good choice of default in the face of potential mistyping when
> entering commands, or cut&paste editing of scripts. It's easy to see
> cases of mismatched KEY_2 VALUE_1 entries.
> 
> Wouldn't it be better to warn about un-matched key/value pairs?

Good point. I'll change this on the next iteration.

> > +GIT_CONFIG_KEY_1,GIT_CONFIG_VALUE_1::
> 
> Shouldn't the man page entry indicate that it's '<n>'  ?

I wasn't quite sure how to document it, but using `<n>` would indicate
better that this can be multiple envvars.

Patrick

> Philip