Subject: Re: [Outreachy] Internship blog 2020

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 18:47:08 -0800

Hi Joey,

Joey Salazar wrote:

> Very happy to be joining for this winter's internship! A short blog
> entry on the beginning of this journey here: https://jsal.home.blog/
>
> A new entry every 2 weeks, check it out!
>
> Thank you Outreachy, Git, and Wireshark for the opportunity, happy
> to be working together!

Welcome!  I'm looking forward to working together (starting with an
initial wireshark patch to get the lay of the land, then fleshing out
the plan for the project, then executing on it in earnest).

A question for wireshark developers: are there preferences for what a
high quality dissector looks like?  [1] talks about portability and
robustness but doesn't address other aspects of convention such as how
long functions should be (like [2] does).  Is there a rule of thumb
like "when in doubt, do things the way <such-and-such dissector>
does?"

Excited,
Jonathan

[1] https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/raw/master/doc/README.developer
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.9/process/coding-style.html