Subject: Re: js/bisect-in-c (was: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2022, #09; Mon, 31))

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:46:54 -0500

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 02:35:26PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> So basically, I thought this was finally done and the next thing I hear is
> that it is ejected. That's quite a frustrating experience, I must admit.
> At least I am not a new contributor who would be very much deterred from
> contributing any further by such an experience.

I ejected the series for two reasons:

  - it began to conflict with newer series that folks are working on,
    and

  - because I hadn't seen any activity on it from either you or any of
    the previous reviewers.

I don't want to drop the topic on the floor if we are getting close to
or are at the finish line. *But*, there are a handful of other series in
flight which seem to conflict with this one.

It would have been much nicer to graduate this earlier, and certainly I
think some reviewer-signaling could have helped that.

But now that other topics have appeared, it would be nice to see a
rerolled version on top of any topic(s) with which it might conflict.
That, along with clear instructions of which topics it depends on will
help me queue it in the right order.

If it helps, I can try and take a closer look tomorrow when rebuilding
'seen' with the new topics. It may be possible for me to resolve the
conflicts with minimal effort. If it appears in 'seen', then you should
be OK, and we can start graduating this down. But if not, then having a
rerolled version would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor