Subject: [ANNOUNCE] git-sim: a command line tool to visually simulate local git operations

From: Jacob Stopak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 07:02:15 -0800

I've been working on a free and open-source dev tool called "git-sim" which
allows devs to visually simulate Git commands using a git-like syntax directly
in their local repos from the command-line.

Posting it here to put out some feelers and to see if folks in the community might
find it interesting / useful, and if so to get some feedback on how to improve it.

The goal of the tool is to help make Git more accessible to newcomers, as well
as to allows users of all experience levels to get a clear, visual idea of how a
particular Git command will affect the state of their repo before actually
running it.

Think of it as serving a similar purpose as the --dry-run option that some Git
commands have, but where the result is an output image (default) or video
animation of the impact of the Git command in question. My hope is that this
could be a great asset for visual learners.

Git-Sim is written in Python and leverages the GitPython library to interact
with local Git repos and Manim (Math-animation) library to draw and animate the
simulated Git command output.

Here's a link to the codebase/readme on GitHub detailing what Git-Sim does:

https://github.com/initialcommit-com/git-sim

Supported commands so far are: log, status, add, restore, commit, stash, branch,
tag, reset, revert, merge, rebase, cherry-pick

So far the functionality is quite basic, but built out enough that hopefully
folks can get a decent idea of how (and whether) it can be useful. I'm sure
it has bugs and obvious enhancements to be made.

All thoughts/suggestions/criticisms/ideas are welcome.

-Jack