Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Remove support for v1 of the PCRE library

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 03:21:53 +0000

On 2021-01-24 at 01:58:33, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Remove support for using version 1 of the PCRE library. Its use has
> been discouraged by upstream for a long time, and it's in a
> bugfix-only state.
> 
> Anyone who was relying on v1 in particular got a nudge to move to v2
> in e6c531b808 (Makefile: make USE_LIBPCRE=YesPlease mean v2, not v1,
> 2018-03-11), which was first released as part of v2.18.0.
> 
> With this the LIBPCRE2 test prerequisites is redundant to PCRE. But
> I'm keeping it for self-documentation purposes, and to avoid conflict
> with other in-flight PCRE patches.

I think it's fine to drop support for the original PCRE.  All supported
versions of CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and NetBSD have PCRE2 by
now, and I'm quite fine with giving folks using systems without security
updates a bit of a wake-up call.  I have no reason to believe that any
other major operating system won't have version 2, either.

So, essentially, I think this is a good idea.
-- 
brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them)
Houston, Texas, US