Subject: Re: [PATCH] p5303: avoid sed GNU-ism

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 17:11:31 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 03:36:01PM -0500, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 3:28 PM Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 03:19:31PM -0500, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> > > It's not just exotic platforms on which this can be a problem. BSD
> > > lineage `sed`, such as stock `sed` on macOS, doesn't understand this
> > > notation.
> >
> > OK, then I'm doubly surprised nobody has noticed and complained about
> > this. :)
>
> Aside from there possibly being relatively few regular Git developers
> using macOS, it could also be because it's difficult to run the perf
> tests on macOS in the first place due to the GNU prerequisites. For
> instance, the perf tests have an unconditional dependency on GNU
> `time` which is not installed on macOS by default, and it's not always
> easy to figure out how to obtain it.

Yep, I agree completely. I was going to say that this would produce a
conflict (albeit, a trivial one) with the series that this came out of.

But I think that we're better off abandoning that series for now until I
send a different version, so I think we should just go ahead an apply
this.

Thanks,
Taylor