Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 00/17] propose config-based hooks (part I)

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:59:26 -0800

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 04:02:03PM -0800, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> 
> Since v6:
> 
>  - Converted 'enum hookdir_opt' to UPPER_SNAKE
>  - Coccinelle fix in the hook destructor
>  - Fixed a bug where builtin/hook.c wasn't running the default git config setup
>    and therefore missed hooks in core.hooksPath when it was set. (These hooks
>    would still run except when invoked by 'git hook run' as the config was
>    called by the processes which invoked the hook library.)
> 
> CI run: https://github.com/nasamuffin/git/actions/runs/436864964

Some updates on this series...

Since Jan 21 we've been running this series as picked from
gitster/git:es/config-hooks on Googler machines, with a subset of users
asked to try out putting their hooks into config instead of hookdir. So
far we haven't heard any crashes or bugs like that, although I did hear
a couple places where the user documentation is lacking. I feel
encouraged by that, and I'm hoping to improve the documentation in the
next week or so, pending $DAYJOB concerns.

We also addressed some of this series in our every-other-week review
club (me, Jonathan Tan, Jonathan Nieder, and Josh Steadmon; although in
this case I tried to be quiet :) ) and so I hope there will be some
comments from my three teammates coming to list sometime next week.

Since I feel pretty comfortable that it doesn't seem to explode
anywhere, I'm really keen to hear nitpicky reviews and try to push to
get this into 'next'; maybe I can barter my eyes on someone else's
neglected review? That sounds pretty mercenary but I think Junio is the
one who suggested it a few weeks ago... ;)

 - Emily