Subject: [PATCH 0/2] rev-list --disk-usage example docs

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:31:07 -0500

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 01:04:26PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> > I think this is the "narrowly scoped" bit from Junio's response above.
> > It would be a bit weird to have an examples section for rev-list that
> > only mentions this rather obscure feature.
> 
> I don't think the lack of an EXAMPLES section or the relative obscurity
> of the switch should preclude us from adding useful documentation.
> 
> Yes it would feel a bit out of place, but we can always have a
> sub-section of EXAMPLES, and we've got to start somewhere.

Fair enough. Here are some patches (to go on top of jk/rev-list-disk-usage,
though obviously the first one could be applied independently).

> In this case I don't see why it couldn't be added to OPTIONS, we've got
> some very long discussion there already, and as long as there's a clear
> separation in prose from an initial brief discussion of the switch and
> further prose it won't be confusing for readers, they can just page past
> the details.

It's already big and scary enough that I prefer starting an EXAMPLES
section. :)

By the way, there's one other finishing touch we might consider:
enabling --use-bitmap-index automatically when bitmaps are present, for
requests that produce the identical answer (so _not_ a regular
traversal, because the output order and presence of pathnames are
different there). I'd prefer to do that as a separate series, though,
since there are multiple arguments that might benefit (like --count).

  [1/2]: docs/rev-list: add an examples section
  [2/2]: docs/rev-list: add some examples of --disk-usage

 Documentation/git-rev-list.txt | 93 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 93 insertions(+)

-Peff