Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] blame: remove unnecessary use of get_commit_info()

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:10:54 -0500

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 05:31:51PM +0100, Rafael Silva wrote:
> When `git blame --color-by-age`, the determine_line_heat() is called to
> select how to color the output based on the commit author's date.  It
> uses the get_commit_info() to parse the information into a `commit_info`
> structure, however, this is actually unnecessary because the
> determine_line_heat() caller also does the same.

Interesting. It looks like this micro-optimization could have been
safely performed as early as 25d5f52901 (builtin/blame: highlight
recently changed lines, 2018-04-23), which is when this feature was
originally introduced.

I looked at 25d5f52901 to see if there was any reason that we didn't at
the time, but couldn't find anything.

So this looks correct to me. I'm a little disappointed that some of
your more detailed performance numbers from the cover letter didn't make
it into the patch description, but it may not be worth belaboring the
point further.

    Reviewed-by: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>

Thanks,
Taylor