Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/12] Simple IPC Mechanism

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 15:50:21 -0500

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 03:18:26PM -0500, Jeff Hostetler wrote:

> > Sorry, I hadn't gotten around to looking at the latest version. I left
> > another round of comments. Some of them are arguably bikeshedding, but
> > there's at least one I think we'd want to address (the big stack buffer
> > in patch 1).
> > 
> > I also haven't carefully looked at the simple-ipc design at all; my
> > focus has just been on the details of socket and pktline code being
> > touched. Since there are no simple-ipc users yet, and since it's
> > internal and would be easy to change later, I'm mostly content for Jeff
> > to proceed as he sees fit and iterate on it as necessary.
> 
> We can wait until next week on moving this 'next' if you want.
> I'll attend to the buffer alloc in patch 1.  I'm still reading the
> other comments and will see where that takes me.

I could have been a bit more clear here: modulo any response you have to
my latest round of comments, I'm mostly happy to let this proceed to
next. So I was thinking you'd have one more re-roll dealing with the
patch 1 problems plus anything else you think worth addressing from my
batch of comments, and then that result would probably be ready for
'next'.

> I'm about ready to push an RFC for my fsmonitor--daemon series that
> sits on top of this simple-ipc series, so you can see an actual use
> case if that would help understand (my madness).

I may have dug my own grave here. ;) I'm actually not incredibly
interested in the overall topic. So I wasn't saying so much "I'll
reserve judgement on simple-ipc until I see callers" so much as "I
expect you'll find any shortcomings in its design yourself as you build
on top of it".

And by "not interested" I don't mean that I think the topic is without
value. Far from it; I think this is an important area to be working in.
But it's complex and time-consuming to review. So I was hoping somebody
with more expertise and interest in the problem space would do that part
of the review, and I could continue to focus on other stuff. That may be
wishful thinking, though. :)

-Peff