Subject: Re: A note on the 5.12-rc1 tag

From: Josh Triplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 15:06:31 -0800

On Fri, Mar 05, 2021 at 10:10:05AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> (git notes would be nice for this, but they're hard to share reliably;
> >> the above mechanism to accumulate entries from a file in the repo seems
> >> simpler. I can imagine other possibilities.)
> >
> > If the notes are created automatically from the `/.git-bisect-skip`
> > files and stored in `refs/notes/skip`, then they might not need to be
> > shared. If people already share notes, they would just need to stop
> > sharing those in `refs/notes/skip`.
> 
> Ehh, doesn't Josh _want_ to share them, though?  I do not know if a
> single "refs/notes/bisect-skip" notes would do, or you'd need one
> notes tree per the kind of bisection (iow, people may be chasing
> different set of bugs, and the commits that need to be skipped while
> chasing one bug may be OK to test while chasing another one), but I
> would imagine that for this particular use case of marking "these
> commits are dangerous to check out and build on", it does not depend
> on what you are bisecting to find at all, so sharing would be a
> sensible thing to do.
> 
> It is trivial for you to fetch the refs/notes/do-not--checkout notes
> tree from me and merge it into your refs/notes/do-not--checkout
> notes tree, I would think; "git notes merge" may have room for
> improvement, but essentially it would just want a union of two
> sets, no?

My primary concern about notes is that they require manual
action/configuration in order to share. I was looking for a solution
that would automatically protect anyone who pulled from linux.git
(directly or indirectly), without them having to specifically take a
separate step to sync this information.