Subject: Re: remote.<name>.merge missing from the git-config man page?

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 15:45:34 -0500

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 09:41:14PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> >> >  `git push origin`::
> >> >  	Without additional configuration, pushes the current branch to
> >> > -	the configured upstream (`remote.origin.merge` configuration
> >> > +	the configured upstream (`branch.<name>.merge` configuration
> >> >  	variable) if it has the same name as the current branch, and
> >> >  	errors out without pushing otherwise.
> >>
> >> That doesn't say what <name> is.  Is that supposed to be <branch>?
> >> Also, what is "it" referring to in "if it has the same name"?
> >
> > <name> refers to the currently-checked-out branch's local name. (That's
> > how it's used in Documentation/config/branch.txt).
> >
> > The antecedent is "the current branch", so I think that this one may
> > already be quite clear if you read past the parenthesis.
>
> That doesn't make sense: "if the current branch has the same name as the
> current branch".

OK, now I see where your confusion is. I was incorrect in saying the
antecedent was "the current branch"; it should instead by "the
configured upstream". IOW, "if both your and the remote copy call the
branch you have checked out the same thing."

Re-reading the original wording, I still think that it is clear enough
to communicate what I wrote above, but if there is an alternative
wording you find clearer, I would certainly welcome suggestions.

Thanks,
Taylor