Subject: Re: Regarding the depreciation of ssh+git/git+ssh protocols

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:02:50 -0700

Drew DeVault wrote:
> On Mon Mar 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM EDT, brian m. carlson wrote:

>> So I don't think this is a thing we can do, simply because in general
>> URLs aren't suitable for sharing this kind of information.
>
> That's simply not true. They are quite capable at this task, and are
> fulfilling this duty for a wide varitety of applications today.
>
> I don't really understand the disconnect here. No, URLs are not magic,
> but they are perfectly sufficient for this use-case.

I'm not sure it's a disconnect; instead, it just looks like we
disagree.  That said, with more details about the use case it might be
possible to sway me in another direction.

To maintain the URI analogy: the URI does not tell me the content-type
of what I can access from there.  Until I know that content-type, I
may not know what the best tool is to access it.

The root of the disagreement, though, is "Git URLs" looking like a URI
in the first place.  They're not meant to be universal at all.  They
are specifically for Git.

Thanks,
Jonathan