Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 36/37] run-command: stop thinking about hooks

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:07:02 -0700

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 10:23:55AM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
> 
> On Thu, Mar 11 2021, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> 
> > hook.h has replaced all run-command.h hook-related functionality.
> > run-command.h:run_hooks_le/ve and find_hook are no longer used anywhere
> > in the codebase. So, let's delete the dead code - or, in the one case
> > where it's still needed, move it to an internal function in hook.c.
> 
> Similar to other comments about squashing, I think just having this
> happen incrementally as we remove whatever is the last user of the
> function would be better.
> 
> E.g. find_hook() is last used in one commit, run_hook*() in another...

Hm. I could see it, coupled with a blurb like, "Nobody is using this
anymore so delete."

But it feels odd to move the find_hook() impl from here to hook.c
internal in a commit about, say, bugreport.

I'll consider this, thanks. Maybe it fits in one case (like run_hook_*)
better than in another (like find_hook). I'll play with it :)

 - Emily