Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/16] midx: implement a multi-pack reverse index

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 09:37:09 -0400

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 03:15:02AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 05:37:01PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> > (FWIW, I can also see an argument in the other direction along the lines
> > of "we may discover something later on that requires us to change the
> > way multi-pack .rev files work". I think that such an outcome is fairly
> > unlikely, but worth considering anyway).
>
> That would be my general worry, too, but in this case I am not too
> concerned because I know the code has received substantial exercise
> already on real-world production servers. So while we may clean up some
> cosmetic bits or respond to review as it goes upstream, I'm much less
> worried about seeing some brown-paper-bag bug that would be sufficient
> to make us want to re-roll these .rev commits. And hopefully the
> existing rounds have addressed the cosmetic/review bits.

Yes. Another benefit is that it should give us substantial confidence in
the correctness not just of this topic, but of the multi-pack bitmaps
that are built on top, too.

Thanks,
Taylor