Subject: Re: RFC/Discussion - Submodule UX Improvements

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:10:49 -0700

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 07:22:07AM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> 
> Hi Emily,
> 
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 1:39 AM Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > As hinted by a couple recent patches, I'm planning on some pretty big submodule
> > work over the next 6 months or so - and Ævar pointed out to me in
> > https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked] that I probably
> > should share some of those plans ahead of time. :) So attached is a lightly
> > modified version of the doc that we've been working on internally at Google,
> > focusing on what we think would be an ideal submodule workflow.
> 
> Thanks for sharing this doc! My main concern with this is that we are
> likely to have a GSoC student working soon on finishing to port `git
> submodule` to C code. And I wonder how that would interact with your
> work.

I discussed this a little with Jonathan N and Albert and we think it
probably won't matter too much. If anything, I expect mostly we would
touch the submodule--helper, and not the 'git submodule' builtin. But
just in case - it would be useful if any GSoC student were publishing
their code to a feature branch (on a fork, maybe) so that I could keep
an eye out for possible conflicts that way. Or, at very least, CCing me
and Jonathan N on patches :)

 - Emily