Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Apr 2021, #05; Mon, 19)

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:32:57 +0000

On 2021-04-21 at 08:26:06, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Using something like the:
> 
>     git --object-format=sha256 <cmd>
> 
> Approch I suggsted in
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ ?

Yes, I generally like that approach and will likely adopt it with some
modifications.  For example, I think we'll still need some sanity checks
to be sure that we're not allowing users to specify a totally different
algorithm from what's in the repo when working with the repo because
that will likely break things in a variety of ways.

What I want to do right now is figure out what additional changes are
going to be required and in which programs these changes should be made,
and that requires that I do more work in the series so I can have a
better idea of what's involved.  Since that's going to take some time,
I'm going to drop those patches so I can get the rest of the series in
shape.

> In any case having something like the OPT_OBJECT_FORMAT() I added in
> that WIP patch would make sense wouldn't it, to reduce the duplication
> of current "object-format". It would also save each current caller from
> doing the "unknown" and other sanity checks, since they could rely on
> parse_options() having died in that case.

I agree that's a nice improvement and would be happy to see it come in
independent of my changes.  I'll probably pick it up sooner or later if
you don't get to it first.
-- 
brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them)
Houston, Texas, US