Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/howto: tracking git.git

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 22:27:35 +0700

On 2021-05-14 22:49:52+0900, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > +Available Branches
> > +------------------
> > +
> > +There are several branches on git.git with different purposes:
> > +
> > +master::
> > +This is the most stable branch. Changes (topics) that are merged
> > +to master should have been stabilized in next and suitable for
> > +production use. Feature releases (vX.Y.0) are cut from this
> > +branch.
> 
> Isn't "maint" meant to be more stable?
> 
> > +next::
> > +This is where topics that haven't been yet merged to master are
> > +stabilized and tested for breakage and regressions. It gives
> > +a summary forecast of what next batch of topics that will be
> > +merged to master looks like.
> > +
> > +seen::
> > +This is the most bleeding edge branch where all excited
> > +developments happened. All proposed topics are queued in seen
> > +by the maintainer. However, these may be buggy (have breakage or
> > +regressions). When topics queued are deemed good and ready for
> > +inclusion, they are graduated to next for stabilization.
> 
> This is inconsistent with what has been written elsewhere about this
> integration branch.  In short, you should not read anything more
> than "the maintainer happens to have seen these topics" out of the
> fact that a topic is in 'seen'.  Not all proposed topics will be in
> this branch, and a branch that was in 'seen' on one day may not be
> there the next day, but that does not mean anything (certainly it
> does not mean the topic has been "rejected").

Well, I think most of this document's points has been written in
Documentation/howto/maintain-git.txt and
Documentation/SubmittingPatches.txt.

With only 2 above points, I think if we have this document in,
we'll have more things to maintain :shrug:

-- 
Danh