Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/1] maintenance: use systemd timers on Linux

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 07:29:44 +0700

On 2021-05-10 15:25:07+0900, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> I think others have strong opinion on not using "%1$s",
> >> and prefer simple "%s" and using "exec_path" twice instead.
> >
> > I brought it up only because I hadn't seen it in Git sources, and
> > wasn't sure if we'd want to start using it. Aside from Ævar, who
> > seemed reasonably in favor of it, nobody else chimed in, so it could
> > go either way, I suppose.
> 
> If this were a piece of code that _everybody_ would use on _all_ the
> supported platforms, I would suggest declaring that this is a
> weather-balloon to see if some platforms have trouble using it.  But
> unfortunately this is not such a piece of code.  Dependence on
> systemd should strictly be opt-in.

Yes, dependence on systemd should be strictly opt-in.
Although, I don't use systemd-based distro, so it is irrelevant to me.
I think it's none of Git (the project) business to decide which
scheduler should be given higher priority. It's crontab when
maintenance was introduced, it should be crontab, now.

Another point for eternal bikeshedding: why do we limit ourselves in
crontab and systemd, how about other homebrew schedulers? What should
we do if another scheduler raise to be the big star in the scheduler
world?

I guess we should take some templates for running on {,un}register
instead? However, I think such design may open another can of worms.
So, I don't know.

-- 
Danh