Subject: Re: Should we do something with #git-devel on Freenode?

From: Kevin Daudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 22:01:02 +0200

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 02:47:26PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 01:19:02PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> > So if there is a critical mass of useful people that will hang out on
> > the Matrix equivalent of #git (or whatever other tool), then that may
> > become a new place. And people who want to do that should let people
> > know where they can be found (whatever happens, I'd appreciate a PR to
> > https://github.com/git/git-scm.com updating the "Community" page).
> 
> Emily tweeted today [1] that the #git channel on Freenode has been taken
> over (presumably for violating their guideline that channels not mention
> Libera in their description).
> 
> So using Libera seems like a good idea (although I agree that there is
> no "official" place to go, and this is more about making people aware of
> the new status-quo). In that case, here's a PR to update the "Community"
> page on git-scm.com:
> 
>     https://github.com/git/git-scm.com/pull/1607
> 
> Thanks,
> Taylor
> 
> [1]: https://twitter.com/nasamuffin/status/1397619871278530560

We still manage #git, but #git-devel has been deowned and redirected to
##git-devel.

In the mean time, the ircops on libera helped us to register #git there
pending the official namespace registration from Junio (they have a
backlog, so they are working through that).