Subject: [PATCH v2] xsize_t: avoid implementation defined behavior when len < 0

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 18:52:56 -0700

The xsize_t helper aims to safely convert an off_t to a size_t,
erroring out when a file offset is too large to fit into a memory
address.  It does this by using two casts:

	size_t size = (size_t) len;
	if (len != (off_t) size)
		... error out ...

On a platform with sizeof(size_t) < sizeof(off_t), this check is safe
and correct.  The first cast truncates to a size_t by finding the
remainder modulo SIZE_MAX+1 (see C99 section 6.3.1.3 Signed and
unsigned integers) and the second promotes to an off_t, meaning the
result is true if and only if len is representable as a size_t.

On other platforms, this two-casts strategy still works well (always
succeeds) for len >= 0.  But for len < 0, when the first cast succeeds
and produces SIZE_MAX + 1 + len, the resulting value is too large to
be represented as an off_t, so the second cast produces implementation
defined behavior.  In practice, it is likely to produce a result of
true despite len not being representable as size_t.

Simplify by replacing with a more straightforward check: compare len
to the relevant bounds and then cast it.  (To avoid a -Wsign-compare
warning, after checking that len >= 0, we explicitly convert to a
sufficiently-large unsigned type before comparing to SIZE_MAX.)

In practice, this is not likely to come up since typical callers use
nonnegative len.  Still, it's helpful to handle this case to make the
behavior easy to reason about.

Historical note: the original bounds-checking in 46be82dfd0 (xsize_t:
check whether we lose bits, 2010-07-28) did not produce this
implementation-defined behavior, though it still did not handle
negative offsets.  It was not until 73560c793a (git-compat-util.h:
xsize_t() - avoid -Wsign-compare warnings, 2017-09-21) introduced the
double cast that the implementation-defined behavior was triggered.

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
---
Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

>> -	if (len != (off_t) size)
>> +	if (len < 0 || len > SIZE_MAX)
>>  		die("Cannot handle files this big");
>
> OK, so negative offset or offset that cannot be represented as size_t
> are rejected.  That is much easier to read than the original ;-)
>
> SIZE_MAX is associated with size_t so it presumably is an unsigned
> constant; would it again trigger a sign-compare warning?

Alas, on platforms with sizeof(size_t) == sizeof(off_t), I believe it
does:

	$ gcc --version
	gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6+build2) 10.2.1 20210110
	Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
	This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
	warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

	$ cat sign-compare-test.c
	#define X (1U)

	extern int signed_int();

	int main(void)
	{
	  int v = signed_int();
	  return v < 0 || v > X;
	}
	$ gcc -c -Wall -W -Wsign-compare sign-compare-test.c
	sign-compare-test.c: In function ‘main’:
	sign-compare-test.c:8:21: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different signedness: ‘int’ and ‘unsigned int’ [-Wsign-compare]
	    8 |   return v < 0 || v > X;
	      |                     ^

That can be worked around by reintroducing a cast, to an unsigned type
this time, like this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

 git-compat-util.h | 6 ++----
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/git-compat-util.h b/git-compat-util.h
index a508dbe5a3..fb6e9af76b 100644
--- a/git-compat-util.h
+++ b/git-compat-util.h
@@ -986,11 +986,9 @@ static inline char *xstrdup_or_null(const char *str)
 
 static inline size_t xsize_t(off_t len)
 {
-	size_t size = (size_t) len;
-
-	if (len != (off_t) size)
+	if (len < 0 || (uintmax_t) len > SIZE_MAX)
 		die("Cannot handle files this big");
-	return size;
+	return (size_t) len;
 }
 
 __attribute__((format (printf, 3, 4)))
-- 
2.31.1.818.g46aad6cb9e